Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM) Undergraduate Pecha Kucha Challenge 2021
ABOUT MSM Undergraduate Pecha Kucha Challenge 2021
MSM Undergraduate PechaKucha Challenge is a new virtual competition sponsored by the Malaysian Society for Microbiology. This challenge is initiated as an effort to recognise the quality of microbiology related research amongst undergraduates of Malaysian universities in light of the extensive digital transformation in teaching and learning in universities during the Covid-19 pandemic.
PechaKucha, which means “chit chat” in Japanese is a creative storytelling platform created by two renowned architects during night-time get-togethers in Tokyo in 2003.
Today, PechaKucha is used worldwide as a platform to create powerful, visually compelling stories that move audiences in less than 7 minutes. A Pecha Kucha or 20×20 presentation contains 20 slides, with each slide shown for 20 seconds, for a presentation of exactly 6 minutes, 40 seconds.
- This challenge is open to all undergraduate students in Malaysia who have already submitted their Final Year Project thesis related to microbiology in the year 2020 and 2021.
- The title and the content of the Pecha Kucha presentation must be related to the title of the submitted final year project thesis.
- The participant must prepare a video that consists of a Pecha Kucha or 20×20 image presentation.
- The Pecha Kucha must contain 20 slides (image/infographic) excluding the title slide, with each slide shown for 20 seconds, for a presentation of exactly 6 minutes, 40 seconds. Competitors exceeding 6 minutes, 40 seconds will be disqualified.
- Use your own images, or images you have permission to use. If you need additional graphics, avoid copyrighted images by using the Creative Commons image search.
- Only minimum simple words or text are allowed. Successful Pecha Kucha presentations usually have images that complement what the speaker is saying rather than a bunch of bullet and text on the slide.
- Presentation is to be spoken words (e .g no poems, raps, songs) in Bahasa Melayu or English.
- Video must follow these criteria:
- Filmed on horizontal view.
- Filmed on a plain background.
- Filmed from a static position.
- Filmed on one camera angle.
- Submissions are via video format (only Vimeo link or Google drive link provided to event coordinators). Files sent in other formats will not be accepted.
- The completed registration form and Pecha Kucha presentation need to be endorsed by the participant's higher learning institution.
- The participants shall ensure that any use of the copyrighted materials for third parties including copying, sending, or making them available to the public on the Internet shall be made upon the consent of the authorised entities. The participants shall be fully liable for any damage arising in result of their behaviour contrary to the above reservation.
- The organiser reserves the right to modify or substitute any of these rules and regulation as it deems fit.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
The competitor will be assessed based on the following judging criteria:
Comprehension, Content & Organization
- Did the presentation demonstrate a strong understanding of the subject matter?
- Did the presentation follow a clear, logical and organized sequence?
- Was the topic communicated in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience?
- Did the presenter spend adequate time on each slide of their presentation - or elaborated for too long on one aspect or was the presentation rushed?
Engagement and Communication
- Did the oration draw the audience into the presentation and make the audience want to know more?
- Did the presenter capture and maintain his/her audience’s attention through creativity and appropriate image/text chosen?
- Did the presenter choose appropriate images?
Please note: Competitors will not be judged based on video/recording quality or editing capabilities. Judging will focus on the presentation, image quality in the slides and ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience.